Friday, October 26, 2018

The Schoenbrunn Reenactment : Overview

Recently the 8th graders went on a field trip to a historical site. Schoenbrunn. This is just my perspective on the trip. Some of the students chose to stay overnight, I was one of the few who didn't. I came on Saturday and stayed until the afternoon when we needed to leave.








Schoenbrunn was a very interesting site. It had many activities and recreations you could participate in. One of the things we did was visit a Dame school. A Dame school is a school in a woman's home used to teach girls, and boys useful skills. They taught us how to write with the feathers we always see in old movies and pictures. As well as teach us how to write on an old writing board.


Another event that we took part in was folk dancing. At the Dame school, the teachers there taught us the choreography of the dances they had back then. I definitely had some trouble getting the hang of it, but others did, very quickly actually. We danced a couple of songs played by a violinist at the site and I think, we all had a good time.


We all were separated for the most part. Some people from the overnight stay were with their guides and were working as their apprentices.                    


Others like myself mostly hung out and walked around seeing all the camps. There were plenty of things to see and buy. The stands were filled with either informational pieces of recreations of past things.



I also played games. Actually, most of the time I was in the game area. They had games children back then used to play. I don't really remember the names, but I know one of the games involved two sticks for each person and the one that had the wooden ring, threw it up in the air and the other person had to catch it with their sticks. That was very entertaining for me. They also had other games like the one where you had to walk with two big wooden sticks at your side, which was very frustrating since I kept falling :)

Overall, I think we all had fun and learned a lot. I hope the 7th graders will enjoy it as much we did when they go next year. 








No comments:

Post a Comment