Friday, November 2, 2018

Why I honor the American Flag by Sandreah Diaz

     The United States flag, the Stars and Stripes, Old Glory, the American flag has many names, but they all mean one thing. To promise to stay loyal to our country and to stand by your nation, stay side by side through war, through disagreements, no matter what. Abraham Lincoln once said, “Standing as I do, with my hand upon this staff, and under the folds of the American flag, I ask you to stand by me so long as I stand by it.” This means by being one with our nation, we are one with others. To protect, and to have a purpose to be an American.

     Not many people know that they are honoring the American flag everyday. By saying the pledge of allegiance, you are saying that you will stand with this nation, with freedom and fairness. The flag has changed over time from going to thirteen stars and thirteen stripes. To having fifty stars and thirteen stripes. But, the looks never matter, the way we honor the flag matters the most.

     I honor the American flag because, I’m too young to fight in any war, and many passed trying. I honor the flag because, I’m proud to be an American, and that I’m lucky to have the rights, I often take granted for. I honor the American flag because, it’s a place to speak out, without being mistreated for it. America is the one place I call home.

     No matter how many times they give it another name, or look, it will always be the place, country, and home of fairness, and loyalty. Being compared to someone who doesn’t have the right to speak what they think or have a trustworthy govern, i’m lucky to have them, even though I take them for granted. This is why I honor the American flag.

No comments:

Post a Comment